Department of Mizo
Head: Prof. R.L. Thanmawia
Contact : +91 – 9774401589 / +91 – 9612152442
The Post Graduate Mizo Department was established in 1997 under the North-Eastern Hill University, and after take over to Mizoram University is the 7th Department in order of establishment. It has six faculty members and two non-teaching staff. Initially the Department, as also the entire University, functioned in rented establishments, and students’ intake depended on the available facilities. In the permanent campus, with construction of new academic complex in process, the Department has to settle in temporary establishments with number of student intake progressing from 35 to 50.
Research facility is open for Ph.D since 2007 and M.Phil since 2010, and till date five Ph.D and 23 M.Phil scholars have received their degree. What the Department is doing at present is motivating critical spirit in the students and creativity in literary activity. The Department publishes a peer reviewed Quarterly Journal named ‘Mizo Studies’ having ISSN – 2319-6041 featuring literary articles in English and Mizo on studies in Mizo language and literature, history, education, society and bio-diversity.
Introduction of CBCS Curricula in 2012 gave the Department the opportunity to break certain barriers, especially in the Open Elective facility, and look towards wider frontiers of culture and folk studies.
Prof. R. L. Thanmawia, Professor
Prof. Laltluangliana Khiangte, Professor
MA, Ph.D, D.Litt., D.D.
Mr. Lalsangzuala, Assisant Professor
Dr. Ruth Lalremruati, Assistant Professor
MA (Mizo), MA (English), Ph.D
K. Lalnunhlima, Assistant Professor
Lalzarzova, Assistant Professor
Programmes under the department: MA, Mphil and PhD
Department Achievements :
- Students :
- Best Department in 2017.
- Class of the Year in 2014-15 session.
- Championship in Volleyball (Women) Mizoram University 3 Day Sports 2015.
- Best Cultural Dressed Department in University Festival ‘VIBRIO’ 2016.
- Winner in Cultural Dance Competition in University Festival ‘VIRTHLI’ 2018.
- Winner in Runway Showdown in University Festival ‘VIBRIO’ 2017.
- Students Placement :
- College Teachers : 17
- Higher Secondary Education : 35
- Secondary Education : 42
- Primary Education : 8
- Others : 30
- Department Achievements/Best Practices :
- The Department organized 1(one) International Seminar and 10(ten) National Seminar during 2013-2018.
- Aizawl Book Fair cum Literary Festival was organized by the Department.
- The department observed World Theatre Day every year.
- The department observed World Poetry Day every year.
- The department organized students Poetry Writing and Reading Competition.
- The Mizo Department published a quarterly refereed journal, ‘Mizo Studies’ with ISSN-2319-6041 since 2012.