Department of Clinical Psychology
Head: Dr. Thiyam Kiran Singh
HoD – Email: email@example.com
Dept. – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Clinical Psychology was set up in the academic session 2019-2020 and now offers full-time M Sc in Clinical Psychology under the School of Medical and Para-Medical Sciences with the UGC sanctioned posts (7 posts) of; one Professor, two Associate Professors, and four Assistant Professors. We started the first academic session of the Department with two faculty members: Prof. Zokaitluangi as Head of the Department and Ms. Lalhmingmawii, Assistant Professor and 3 Guest Lecturers. Recently two faculties joined- Dr.Thiyam Kiran Singh, Associate Professor, Dr. Narendra Nath Samantaray, Assistant Professor and Dr Laxmi Narayan Rathore that strengthen the Department to open Ph D programme in clinical psychology from academic session 2021, and now fully well equipped with the prescribed criteria to open the RCI approved M Phil in Clinical Psychology and the same was under progress.
The intake of the students for the M.Sc program is 30 per year. The program has four semesters during which the students must undertake 100 credit papers under CBCS pattern. The Department is right now hosted in the Public Administration Building in the School of Social Sciences Complex until a full-fledged building under construction completes.
Department of Clinical Psychology
School of Social Sciences Complex
Mizoram University (Central University)
- To provide quality teaching and training at PG, M Phil, and Ph.D. levels and produce educated, well-trained professionals.
- To undertake funded research projects of national and international importance.
- To conduct Continuing Rehabilitation Education (CRE) programs approved by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)
- To conduct workshops, seminars, and invited talks at the national and international level.
- Developing resource material for students and other centers working in mental health rehabilitation.
- Developing self-help manuals for various mental health problems catering to clinical and community populations.
- To conduct public education and awareness programs on mental health issues, catering to students, public, mental health professionals, non-governmental agencies, and media.
- Providing quality service in areas of mental health problems at clinical and community levels.
- To extend services to non-psychiatric disorders, halfway homes, and elderly persons.
- To encourage and empower clients with mental health issues and caregivers to lead an independent, productive, and dignified life.
- Liaisoning with ‘Ministry of Health and family Welfare’ and ‘Ministry of social justice and empowerment in formulating and implementing policies and programs related to mental health.
- To develop academic excellence in teaching and research in clinical psychology at the national and international levels.
- To commence RCI approved courses and Ph.D programs.
- To help improve the clients’ quality of life, caregiver, and community, thus contributing to the general public’s mental health.
Need of Clinical Psychology in Mizoram:
Clinical psychology is a broad branch of psychology that focuses on diagnosing and treating mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders. A field that has expanded with an increasing need for trained professionals in the area of mental health with the increase in the prevalence of Mental Disorders, as can be seen in The National Mental Health Survey (2015-16) carried out by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and NIMHANS, Bangalore. It was found that the lifetime prevalence of Mental Disorders in the surveyed population was 13.7% and that 150 million Indians need active intervention.
In Mizoram, there is a rising trend in mental disorders presented in various hospitals, and Clinical Psychologists trained in dealing with various mental diseases play an important role in providing assessment and treatment. Also, with the escalation in the number of alcohol and drug abusers, there is an increase in need of trained professionals specialized in the prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of such individuals in the multiple de-addiction and rehabilitation centers currently running in various parts of Mizoram. The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has authorized Clinical Psychologists who have registered in the Central Rehabilitation Register (CRR) of the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) as one of the few professionals qualified to provide services to persons with disabilities. Although there is an increase in such cases, it is not coupled with a matching rise in the qualified workforce to deal with such issues. As a specific response to the growing need, the UGC has sanctioned the Department of Clinical Psychology, Mizoram University.