Department of Clinical Psychology
Phone No. (Department): –
Dept. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Year of Establishment: 2019
Year of First Intake of Student: 2019
The Department of Clinical Psychology, Mizoram University was set up in the year 2019. The Department is currently located and functions from the Centre for Disability Studies (CDS) near KV, Mizoram University. The first batch of 30 students was enrolled in the odd semester of the year 2019 in the regular M.Sc. Clinical Psychology Programme under the School of Medical and Para-Medical Sciences, with two regular faculty members and 3 Guest faculties. Subsequently, Dr. Laxmi Narayan Rathore and Dr M. Sandhyarani Devi have joined the Department in the year 2021 and 2022 respectively. With the recruitment of new faculties, the Department started Ph.D. programme in Clinical Psychology from 2021. Recently Department of Clinical Psychology has been approved by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), Govt. of India for starting 2 year regular M. Phil. (Clinical Psychology) programme with 10 seats with effect from 2023 academic session.
Since its inception, the Department was actively involved in organising various academic activities for the exposure of students in the area of Clinical Psychology. The Department has organised various seminars, workshops and awareness programmes. Also few National and International conferences has also been organised by the Department of Clinical Psychology so far. The Department aims to provide quality teaching and training at M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. level and strives to produce educated, well-trained professionals to cater the need of management/treatment of people with mental health issues in the entire North-East India, especially in the state of Mizoram. The trained manpower from the Department of Clinical Psychology will be helpful in providing adequate and effective counselling, guidance and Psycho-therapeutic services to the people of Mizoram. Besides this, the Department of Clinical Psychology also aims to contribute to the existing knowledge in the field of Clinical Psychology by conducting and promoting various research activities in the field of Clinical Psychology and Mental Health. After the introduction of NEP, by Govt. of India and as per the guidelines and advised by Mizoram University, the Department of Clinical Psychology has recently adopted the NEP pattern for PG courses.
Courses offered by the Department of Clinical Psychology–
- M.Sc. (Clinical Psychology) – Intake 30 seats
- Phil (Clinical Psychology) (RCI Approved) – approved intake 10 seats
- D. (Clinical Psychology – approved intake as per UGC/MZU regulations.
- The broad vision of the Department of Clinical Psychology is to strive for overall academic excellence in teaching and research in the field of Clinical Psychology at the National and International level.
- To contribute to the overall psychological well-being of the people of Mizoram.
- To strive and contribute for the community mental health and school mental health in Mizoram
- To impart quality teaching, clinical training and supervision at Masters, M Phil, and Ph.D. levels aiming to produce trained mental health professionals.
- To undertake research projects of national and global importance.
- To conduct Continuing Rehabilitation Education (CRE) programs approved by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)
- To conduct academic activities like workshops, seminars and invited talks at the national and international level.
- To develop resource material for students and other centers working in field of mental health and rehabilitation.
- To develop self-help manuals for various mental health problems catering to clinical and community populations.
- To conduct public education and awareness programs on mental health issues, catering to students, public, mental health professionals, non-governmental agencies, and media.
- To Provide quality service in areas of mental health problems at clinical and community levels.
- To extend required services to halfway homes and elderly persons in the Aizawl city.
- To encourage and empower clients with mental health issues and caregivers to lead an independent, productive, and dignified life.
- To Liaison with Govt. of India bodies like ‘Ministry of Health and family Welfare’ and ‘Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in formulating and implementing policies and programs related to mental health in the country.
Centre for Disability Studies Building,
Near Kendriya Vidyalaya, Mizoram University
Tanhril, Aizawl, Mizoram – 796004