Department of Asst. Professor
Head: Prof. Zokaitluangi (Dept. of Psychology)
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com.
The department of Clinical Psychology was set up in the academic session 2019-2020 and now offers full time M Sc in Clinical Psychology under the School of Medical and Para-Medical Sciences with the UGC sanctioned posts (7 posts) of: one Professor, two Associate Professors and four Assistant Professors. The First Academic Session of the Department was started with two faculty members: Prof. Zokaitluangi as Head of the Department and Ms Lalhmingmawii Assistant Professor with the help of 3 Guest Lecturers. The Department aims to introduce M Phil and Ph D programmes with the improving infrastructure and faculties, also following the UGC and Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) prescribed rules and regulations.
The initial intended intake of the students is 30 seats but 33 students were admitted after due consideration of the needs and potential positive impact of clinical psychology in the country. The programme is divided into four semesters during which the students are required to undertake 100 credit papers under CBCS pattern. The Department is right now hosted in the Public Administration Building in the School of Social Sciences Complex.
Department of Clinical Psychology
School of Social Sciences Complex
- To provide quality teaching and training at PG, M Phil and Ph D levels, and produce educated, well trained professionals.
- Providing quality service in areas of diagnosis and intervention to clients with mental problems
- To conduct Continuing Rehabilitation Education (CRE) programmes approved by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI).
- To extend services to non-psychiatric disorders, half-way homes and elderly persons.
- To encourage and empower clients with mental illness and caregivers to lead an independent, productive and dignified life with help of society, family and friends, community leaders, governmental and nongovernmental agencies.
- To conduct public education and awareness programmes on mental health in association with clients having mental illness, their caregivers, mental health professionals, non-governmental agencies and media.
- Liaison with ‘Ministry of Health and family Welfare’ and ‘Ministry of social justice and empowerment’ in formulating and implementing policies and programmes related to mental health rehabilitation and disability.
- Conduct and disseminate research on mental health rehabilitation and disability in clients with mental illness; test effectiveness of various rehabilitation models and interventions; develop resource material for students and other centers working in mental health rehabilitation
- To help alleviate the quality and perspective of life of clients with mental illnesses and to educate their families in understanding the vitality of their role in rehabilitation of the clients.
- To develop academic excellence in teaching and research in the field of clinical Psychology
- To established RCI approved institute for disseminating authentic diagnosis in search of and providing appropriate intervention and rehabilitation
- To help improve quality of life of the clients, caregiver and community, thus contributing to the improvement of mental health of general public which in return is crucial for the economic well being of the country.
Need of Clinical Psychology in Mizoram:
Clinical psychology is a broad branch of psychology that focuses on diagnosing and treating mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders. A field that has expanded with increasing need for trained professionals in the area of mental health with the increase in prevalence of Mental Disorders as can be seen in The National Mental Health Survey (2015-16) carried out by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and NIMHANS, Bangalore. It was found that the lifetime prevalence of Mental Disorders in the surveyed population was 13.7% and that 150 million Indians are in need of active intervention.
In Mizoram there is a rising trend in the cases of mental disorders presented in various hospitals and Clinical Psychologists trained in dealing with various mental disorders play an important role in providing assessment and treatment Also with the escalation in number of alcohol and drug abusers, there is increase in need of trained professionals specialized in the prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of such individuals in the multiple de-addiction and rehabilitation centers currently running in various parts of Mizoram. The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has authorized Clinical Psychologist who have registered in Central Rehabilitation Register (CRR) of Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) as one of the few professionals qualified to provide services to persons with disability. Although there is increase in number of such cases, it is not coupled with matching increase of qualified manpower to deal with such cases across Mizoram. As a specific response to the growing need, the UGC has sanctioned the Department of Clinical Psychology, Mizoram University.
Programmes offered under the department: MA