Prof. Bana Bihari Mishra, Head
(From 25th April, 2018 to 24thApril, 2021)
Phone : 0389-2331611, FAX : 0389-2331614
Department of Education, Mizoram University is one of the three oldest departments which were established in 1979 under the erstwhile Mizoram Campus of North Eastern Hill University, at Aizawl. The Department was started with one year M.Ed. programme in the year 1980, which was replaced by a two year M.Ed. programme for one academic session in 1985-86. Since then, the M.Ed. programme has been replaced by M.A. Education programme of four semesters - duration. Along with this, the Department has been offering Ph.D. programme. M.Phil. programme has also been started since the session 2009-2010. Department has started Two Years B. Ed. Programme from the session 2016-17 and it is in the process of offering Two Years M. Ed. Programme from the academic session 2018-19.
- To progressively provide leadership at regional and national academic circle.
- To have global impact on society through continual innovation in Education, Teacher Preparation and Research;
- To remain a source of pride for entire academia.
- To maintain the quality and integrity of the programmes run by the department;
- To produce world class academicians and researchers in the discipline of education;
- To supply competent and committed teachers to regional and national realm of school education;
- To produce first-rate teacher educators, curriculum developers, educational policy analysts, supervisors, school counsellors, school principals, educational researchers, educational administrators, and educational planners;
- To provide disciplinary expertise, consultancy services whenever demanded by different stakeholders;
- To maintain the continuity of organizing academic activities such as seminars, conferences, special lectures, workshops, special courses etc.;
- To develop and strengthen academic collaboration with other similar institutions in the country and abroad.
Besides regular research programmes, M. Phil. and Ph. D.,teachers in the Department of Education are unceasingly engaged in independent and sponsored research projects. The broader areas of research conducted and ongoing are listed below:
- Community Participation in Education;
- Comparative Education;
- Curriculum Development;
- Early Childhood Care and Education;
- Educational Management and Planning;
- Educational Policy Research;
- Educational Technology and ICT in Education;
- Elementary Education;
- Environmental Education;
- Foundation of Education;
- Higher Education;
- Language Education;
- Mathematics Education;
- Measurement and Evaluation in Education;
- Peace Education;
- Research in Rural Education;
- Science Education;
- Secondary Education.
- Special Education;
- Teacher Education and Pedagogy.