Department of English
Head: Prof. K.C. Lalthlamuani
Phone No. Department :
The Department of English was established in 1979 under NEHU Mizoram Campus. It was absorbed under Mizoram University on 2nd July 2001. The department conducted M.Phil. Coursework in 2008 and the Ph.D. Course-work in 2010. A Language Laboratory has been set up in the Department of English as a joint facility for the School of Education & Humanities in 2010.
The Department of English is the only department within the University to be awarded the UGC-SAP. The thrust area of the UGC-SAP DRS I was “Emergent Literatures from North East India” (2011-2016). It has now been upgraded to UGC-SAP DRS II from the year 2016, with the thrust area on “Situating the Mizo/Zohnahthlak in Mizoram and Manipur: A Study of the Historical and Socio-Cultural Processes of Emergent Identities from Orality to Writing”.
|Prof. Margaret L. Pachuau, Professor|
|Prof. Margaret Ch. Zama, Professor|
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
|Prof. Sarangadhar Baral, Professor||Download|
|Dr. Lalrindiki T. Fanai, Associate Professor||Download|
|Prof. K.C. Lalthlamuani, Professor||Download|
|Dr. Cherrie L. Chhangte, Associate Professor||Download|
|Dr. Kristina Z. Zama, Assistant Professor|
|Dr. Thongam Dhanajit Singh, Assistant Professor|
Programmes under the department: MA, Mphil and PhD
The Departmental Library has a total of 1322 books, maintained in accordance with norms prescribed by the Central Library, MZU.
- 200 books have been donated by:
- Visiting Fulbright Senior Specialists Profs. Lawrence B. Fuller and Bernard Koloski during 2008-2012
- Faculty from the department visiting faculty
- Research scholars
• Internet facilities for staff and students
• Total number of class rooms: :
• Computational Facility
• Separate Washrooms for Ladies/Gents : (spread across the department)
• Swachh Bharat Abhiyan: Every Friday the department has a clean up session, towards the same .Students especially are delegated on rotation basis in order that they do not miss out on library and research perspectives.
• MZU Journal of Literature and Culture Studies (ISSN : 2348-1188 Dept. of English, MZU)
• It had been UGC Approved Journal no 64788.
• Mentoring and Parent Teacher Interface done on a semester and annual basis respectively
• Monthly Seminar Series organised for faculty and research scholars of the department.
• Visiting Fellow Lecture Series conducted under UGC SAP DRS II where award winning and renowed creative writers and faculty from top universities in India; JNU Jadavpur University, Tezpur University, Gauhati University have delivered lectures
• UGC SAP DRS II Visiting fellow : Prof. GJV Prasad Centre for English Studies JNU
• Adjunct Faculty
Dr Easterine Kire, Publisher and writer Tromsø, Norway Employer: Tromsø Kommune, Tromsø, Norway. Guest writer under ICORN program2005 – 2007
Strong, functional departmental library
Conducting: UGC NET Remedial Coaching classes for students of the department.
• Red Ribbon Club: Participation at Blood Donation Drives and HIV/AIDS Awareness Programmes
NSS: Participation at Blood Donation and Other Related Activities
• Thrust Areas
The faculty and research scholars of the department have undertaken research in :
Literature in English
Folk and Folkloristic Studies
Language and Communication Skills
• The Department of English is the only department within the university to be awarded the UGC-SAP. The thrust area of the UGC-SAP DRS I was “ Emergent Literatures from North East India”(2011-2016).
• It has now been upgraded to UGC-SAP DRS II from the year 2018-2023 with the thrust area on “Situating the Mizo/Zohnahthlak in Mizoram and Manipur: A Study of the Historical and Socio-Cultural Processes of Emergent Identities from Orality to Writing”.
• Specialization Offered (Select):
o Literature and Culture Studies
o Translation Studies
o English Language Teaching
o Literary Theory
o American Literature
o Indian Writing in English
o Gender Studies
o Fiction Studies
o Communication Skills in English
• Consultancy Provision(if any): NA
• Department achievements (including students, research scholars & faculty members)
MZU Varsity Week 2018:-
Best Model: Angela Lalfelfamkimi
Essay Writing: 3 rd Prize: Gospel B Rochanmawii
Painting Competition: 3 rd Prize: Zohlimpuii
Miss Varsity:ZomuansangiMr Varsity Lallawmkima
A number of students qualified for NET/SET
Eight out of the ten recruits for Assistant Professor in English in July 2019,under RUSA were departmental alumni.