Department of Library & Information Science
Prof. R.N. Mishra, Head,
Ph No . 0389-2331608
The Department of Library & Information Science with a view to equip the libraries with technical manpower in the State was established during the academic session 2002-2003. Prof. A K Sharma, Ex Vice-Chancellor formally inaugurated the Department on 20th August, 2002 at the Central Library of Mizoram University. The Department offered one year BLIS Course in 2002 followed by one year MLIS course in 2003. It is only 2004 when two new faculty members (Professor-1, Lecturer-1) joined the Department and took initiatives to combine both the courses with integrated MLIS Course of two years duration which was offered from 2005 academic session. The same year the Department also extended Ph. D. Program in Library & Information Science. Two more faculty members (Reader-1, & Lecturer-1) joined in 2005. The Department further took initiative to commence M. Phil. Programme in 2007 which was the first course not only in Mizoram University but in the North East Region as well.
The integrated MLIS Course was further revised and implemented with effect from 2011-12 academic session. As per the latest UGC instructions, all the Departments of the University are planning to adopt Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) from 2012-13 academic session.
Right from the 2004 till date the Department organized a number of continuing education programmes like Seminars/Conferences/Workshops/Training Programmes, Refresher Courses so as to provide professional exposure and competency development not only for the benefit of Mizoram Library & Information Professionals but also at the Regional and National level.
The Department was functioning in a small rented building located in Chanmari in 2002 & 2003. It was only 2004, the Department was shifted to another rented building in Ramhlun Road comparatively more spacious than the old building. The Department moved to its own campus located at Tanhril in 2008 and started functioning till 2012 temporarily in School of Social Sciences. Now, it is functioning in its own two storied building.
Right from the beginning, it was a great challenge to the Department to start an up-to-date and need based MLIS course, developing other infrastructure like Computer Laboratory, Department Library, and Learning Resources and strengthen with more Teaching and Non-teaching Staff. It was only in 2010, two more Lecturers joined the Department and as on date it has full strength with eight faculty members i.e, Professor-2, Associate Professor-2, Asst. Professor-4 supported by three non-teaching staffs such as, Stenographer-1, LDC-1, Peon-1 leaving behind one Technical Assistant which is vacant.
The objectives of Library and Information Science course are to:
- Provide students an understanding of the basic principles and fundamental laws of library and information science and enable them to understand and appreciate the functions and purposes of the libraries in the changing social and academic set-up of North East, India.
- Train the students in the techniques of modern methods in librarianship and management of libraries.
- Acquaint the students with the structure and development of the Universe of Knowledge and Research Methods.
- Make the students proficient in advanced techniques of Classification, Cataloguing and Documentation, and
- Develop specialized knowledge and skills in respect of organization and management of different kinds of libraries and reading materials.